Friday, July 1, 2011

Jon Detweiler Memorial Tournament

The Jon Detweiler Memorial Tournament offered players, coaches, and fans a great day full of basketball while raising money for the historic Williamsburg Gym in the memory of Mr. Detweiler. Fittingly, Jon's son, Mark Detweiler coached his Union County team to a 4-0 record and the tournament championship.

This summer I have been working with Centerville, so I was busy coaching the guys most of the day and didn't have a chance to see everyone play. We started the day off with 3 very convincing wins, defeating Greenfield 48-27, Blackford 48-31, and Northeastern 42-18. Our defense was very solid all day long and a balanced offensive attack was enough to give us comfortable victories. However, after having started the day around 9:30 that morning in the gym, the guys did not come out sharp against Union County, falling 32-18 in the final game.

Top Players

Like I said, I was not able to see a whole lot of action besides the games that I was coaching so I apologize if I omit somebody who deserves to be mentioned.

Brad Hartman: 6'7'' Power Forward, Union County H.S. (2012)
Brad continues to improve his game. He is a pretty athletic big man who handles the ball well and is very quick makings his moves in the post. I think he could play for a low level DII and just about any NAIA school.
Cody Woodbury: 6'3'' Shooting Guard, Winchester H.S. (2012)
Very strong and athletic. Good outside shooter and has improved his shooting off the dribble. Could contribute right away at the NAIA level.
Alex Etherington: 6'6'' Small Forward, Hamilton Heights (2013)
From the bit I saw of Alex yesterday he hit a few very deep 3's and showcased his athletic ability with a thunderous dunk over an opponent. He will be a good low to mid-major player. He really needs to improve his attitude though, he seems to always be yelling at a teammate or coach.
Braden Suttle: 6'5'' Small Forward, Centerville (2013)
Suttle is probably one of the most improved players I have see this summer. He has been knocking down about 2 3-pointers a game for Centerville this summer and still has a solid back to the basket game. Will be a good DIII or NAIA player.

These are the 4 best players that I saw yesterday, of the 8 teams in the tournament, I was very impressed with the overall level of play. It was simply a great event.

I have really enjoyed my summer of coaching the Centerville Bulldogs, I had been a part of the program from 2000-2010 as the Head Statistician, but being able to coach was a great experience. Know I am looking forward to the AAU circuit!


No comments:

Post a Comment